Time Flies for Oasis since classic Knebworth concerts
BRITPOP legends Oasis release their definitive singles collection today (Monday) featuring a picture from their seminal 1996 Knebworth gigs on the cover.
The Gallagher brothers, Liam and Noel, famously played two nights at the Hertfordshire stately home on August 10 and 11 in 1996 before a quarter of a million people.
And the artwork for new singles album Time Flies... 1994-2009 features a photograph taken during one of those career-defining performances at the legendary rock venue.
A statement on the now disbanded indie giants’ official website said: “There have been so many iconic gigs throughout the history of Oasis.
“From Maine Road, Wembley Stadium (both new and old!), Madison Square Gardens to River Plate Stadium in Argentina, to name a very small handful.
You may also want to watch:
“But we think most people will agree that the most iconic of them all was their record-breaking weekend at Knebworth.
“2.5 million people applied for the available 250,000 tickets for those two sunny days back in August 1996.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“So it’s fitting that the front cover of the sleeve for the upcoming singles collection features a stellar shot of you the fans from those historic gigs at Knebworth.”
Time Flies... 1994-2009 is released today and features 27 tracks spanning the band’s 15-year career from first hit single Supersonic from 1994’s debut album Definitely Maybe to final release Falling Down.
The album contains all eight of Oasis’ UK number one singles, as well as classic tracks such as Live Forever, Whatever, Wonderwall and Cigarettes & Alcohol.
Oasis split up last year before they were due to headline the second day of the V Festival at Chelmsford, Essex.
* Knebworth Park will host the touring Sonisphere Festival for a second time this summer with the Godfather of shock rock Alice Cooper, German industrial metallers Rammstein and heavy metal legends Iron Maiden headlining over three nights from July 30 to August 1.