STAFF were subjected to a violent attack when two men burst into a store carrying carving knives and a baseball bat. The raiders were wearing Halloween masks when they forced their way through the back door of Poundland in Queensway, Stevenage, on Saturd
STAFF were subjected to a violent attack when two men burst into a store carrying carving knives and a baseball bat.
The raiders were wearing Halloween masks when they forced their way through the back door of Poundland in Queensway, Stevenage, on Saturday at 6pm.
Members of staff had been preparing to leave when the men, described as white, of average build and between 5ft 9in to 6ft, muscled their way in.
Some employees were already in the car park at the back of the store but were threatened and then forced back inside.
You may also want to watch:
The violence started immediately despite the men being told to just take the money and go.
One member of staff was hit with the baseball bat and another was held in a headlock.
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 3 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 4 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 5 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 6 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 PE teachers to run seven marathons in seven days
- 9 Early start catches Stevenage sleeping as Mansfield claim the three points
- 10 Raft of measures to help tackle town's litter problem
The men then went to the office where the safe is and the assistant manager was violently beaten.
A store spokesman said the assistant manager was taken to hospital and later released but will have to go back to hospital to make sure there is no long term damage.
A staff member, who did not want to be named, said: "These are real thugs. The staff did not resist yet they still used extreme violence."
The men emptied the safe which contained a substantial amount of money.
Staff at the shop are said to be shaken and counselling is being provided.
The culprits made their getaway in a dark car, possibly a Rover. Police are keen to speak to those who were in the area at the time especially the occupants of a green Corsa and a large red vehicle who could be vital witnesses.
CCTV tapes have been taken from the store and will be studied by police.
A police spokesman said: "We are still trying to establish what the vehicle was so we are seeking witnesses or anyone who saw a vehicle being driven erratically around the time of the robbery."
# If you have any information about the violent attack call the Stevenage robbery team on 01438 757078.