Three generations of Biggleswade family in fundraising drive for humanitarian trip to Kenya
- Credit: Archant
A charity challenge to help impoverished schoolchildren is set to be a real family affair as three generations of Newmans prepare to head out to Africa next year.
Luke Newman, his father Steve and his 17-year-old son Reece are bidding to raise £7650 towards funding a trip to Kenya in May of next year, but they need a bit of help to reach their target.
The two-week trip to Nakuru – where the trio will be joining the Derby County Community Trust and African Adventures – will involve humanitarian work at three schools in May.
Luke – who will be documenting his travels in a page called Educate Everyone Everywhere on Facebook – will be embarking on his fourth visit to Kenya, Steve his sixth, but teenager Reece will be going for the first time.
Luke, who lives in Biggleswade, said: “We are taking on this challenge in aid of the children who live in the poorest suburbs, suffering from bad nutrition, health and development.
“It’s to help three schools in need of support and hundreds of children that would love nothing more than time and attention, and a chance of a decent education.
“If you can donate any money we will all be very grateful no matter how big or small.”
- 1 Rishi Sunak visits Stevenage as £900m investment in life sciences campus announced
- 2 Terminally ill Ricky's 'Costa Del Nidge' pool party to help others
- 3 Stevenage teenagers charged following incident at The Hyde
- 4 14-year-old Stevenage girl missing
- 5 Hitchin & Harpenden MP Bim Afolami resigns as Tory vice chair live on air
- 6 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 7 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 8 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 9 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
- 10 Nursery with 'unrivalled passion' marks 80th anniversary
The family will be putting on a series of fundraising events before the end of the year to drum up some cash for the trip.
There will be a night of Old School Garage, R ‘n’ B and Hip Hop at The White Hart in Biggleswade on Friday, August 26, a black-tie ball at Holiday Inn in Sandy on Saturday, October 8 and a Christmas-themed craft fair at the Weatherley Centre in Biggleswade on Sunday, November 13.
For more information and to donate visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/TheNewmansAA.