Three generations of Biggleswade family in fundraising drive for humanitarian trip to Kenya
- Credit: Archant
A charity challenge to help impoverished schoolchildren is set to be a real family affair as three generations of Newmans prepare to head out to Africa next year.
Luke Newman, his father Steve and his 17-year-old son Reece are bidding to raise £7650 towards funding a trip to Kenya in May of next year, but they need a bit of help to reach their target.
The two-week trip to Nakuru – where the trio will be joining the Derby County Community Trust and African Adventures – will involve humanitarian work at three schools in May.
Luke – who will be documenting his travels in a page called Educate Everyone Everywhere on Facebook – will be embarking on his fourth visit to Kenya, Steve his sixth, but teenager Reece will be going for the first time.
Luke, who lives in Biggleswade, said: “We are taking on this challenge in aid of the children who live in the poorest suburbs, suffering from bad nutrition, health and development.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s to help three schools in need of support and hundreds of children that would love nothing more than time and attention, and a chance of a decent education.
“If you can donate any money we will all be very grateful no matter how big or small.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
The family will be putting on a series of fundraising events before the end of the year to drum up some cash for the trip.
There will be a night of Old School Garage, R ‘n’ B and Hip Hop at The White Hart in Biggleswade on Friday, August 26, a black-tie ball at Holiday Inn in Sandy on Saturday, October 8 and a Christmas-themed craft fair at the Weatherley Centre in Biggleswade on Sunday, November 13.
For more information and to donate visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/TheNewmansAA.