Threat of gang violence forces Hitchin club to cancel hip hop night
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin club has acted on police fears of gang-related violence and reluctantly cancelled a hip hop show due to take place tomorrow night.
Security concerns have forced Club 85 on Whinbush Road to scrap plans for the Canning Town rap star Yxng Bane to perform on stage – along with Olami Still and DJ Kasa.
Bob Mardon, the club’s well-respected owner, told the Comet: “The police have informed us there is a threat of gang related violence as people from out of town were intending to use the event as a meeting point.
“Based on that we reluctantly decided the safest thing to do is to cancel the event as we don’t want to attract disruptive elements to our town.
“We were fully behind the event, and had full security in place to make sure it went off safely and happily, but we can’t control what happens away from the venue.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very sorry for the disappointment to all the people who had bought tickets and advise them to contact the ticket agency for refunds straightaway.”
A police spokesman added: “As a matter of course we work with local licensees to ensure events are safe to protect members of the public and staff from harm.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus