‘This town is special’ – Hitchin gets into the Christmas spirit for switch-on event
- Credit: Archant
Crowds turned up in large numbers to see Hitchin’s Christmas lights switched on and to sample the festive atmosphere in Market Place.
More than 500 people turned out in the rain for the family-friendly event on Friday which saw 20 stalls offering their wares.
Former Blue Peter presenter Stuart Miles officially turned on the lights with Britain’s Got Talent 2013 finalist Gabz providing the music.
Stuart said: “I know Hitchin really well, I live nearby and I come to shop here and soak up the atmosphere on a regular basis. I love the independent shops and just having a coffee at one of the many great coffee places available here.
“It’s really fantastic, This town is special – there’s a real community feel to it. I’ve switched on the Hitchin lights for the last few years now and each year it seems to get bigger and bigger.
You may also want to watch:
“The square looks magical with the lights and it’s great so many people come out and support it.
“The people of Hitchin are really good as they always get behind its independent shops and they love supporting events like this which create such a great atmosphere and bring everyone together.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 6 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“It was a great evening, there’s been great entertainment from people like Gabz along with some great stalls.”
Speaking to the Comet, Stevenage teenager Gabz said: “It’s amazing to be back in Hitchin. I’ve got loads of family here and I always used to come over when I was younger. Hitchin’s a great place with a really nice atmosphere and everyone’s always really happy. It’s just got a nice vibe. I’m in the middle of recording new songs so I’m looking forward to coming back and singing them for everyone one day soon!”
“The reception I got during my set was brilliant and it was great to see the lights being switched on. It was great.”
Maya Isbister, 10, from Hitchin said: “It was great to see Gabz sing and see the lights switched on. I also got her autograph afterwards and she was really nice – it was one of the best nights ever!”