Thieves target Stevenage bikes in spate of overnight thefts
- Credit: Archant
A spate of overnight bike thefts in Stevenage earlier this month has prompted a police appeal.
Three bikes were taken from the back garden of a house in Shackledell before two were later recovered at the Red Lion pub in Shephall, while a shed was also broken into in the street and a blue Schwin BMX bike stolen.
A shed in the back garden of a property of Valley Way was also targeted, with thieves making off with a specialised man’s mountain bike and a ladies Carrera mountain bike.
Following the thefts, which happened overnight on October 10, police have now launched an appeal.
Sgt Manjit Khela, who is investigating, said: “We are very keen to speak to anyone who may have seen any suspicious behaviour in this area, during this time, or anyone who has any information regarding the stolen bikes. We are also keen to speak to anyone who may have been offered a bike for sale recently or who is aware of stolen bikes being sold.
“Any information about these crimes can be reported via 101 or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where if your information results in an arrest you could be eligible for a cash reward.
“We are currently experiencing a high level of bike thefts in Stevenage at the moment and would urge people to get their bike security marked if they have not already done so and to take photos of their cycles to aid recovery if they get stolen. A free bike marking event is taking place on Saturday, October 25, at Kings of the Rhodes Cycles at The Glebe between 10am and 2pm.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 7 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 8 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 9 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
“Keep all high value items as secure as possible and consider fitting a shed alarm if this is where you store your bikes.”