Thief smashes car window to steal bag near Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
A thief smashed a car window to steal a dog walker’s handbag near Hitchin at the weekend, and police have today appealed for witnesses.
The theft happened in Westmill Lane, on the west edge of Ickleford, between 3.20pm and 3.35pm on Saturday.
Police said someone smashed the front passenger window of a black BMW X3 and took a black handbag containing an iPhone 7 Plus and a purse with cash inside.
The victim posted an account of the crime on social media on Saturday evening, reporting that the theft had happened while she was only gone for 15 minutes to walk her dog.
She described the bag – which she said was hidden under a seat – as a black handbag with a brown long strap. She said the purse is from the Radley brand.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately they have emptied my account using contactless transactions,” she wrote.
She added that the bag contained photographs of sentimental value that would not be of any use to thieves.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
A police spokeswoman said: “Enquiries are continuing but if you saw anything suspicious in the area around the time stated, or have any information that you believe could be helpful to the investigation, please get in touch.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting crime reference G1/17/3794. Alternatively report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.