Thief filmed taking charity box for sick children
A landlady, pub owner and charity cyclist have been left fuming and disgusted after a “low-down” thief stole a charity box intended for sick children.
Staff at The Granby in Stevenage could not believe their eyes after a brazen thief was caught on CCTV pocketing a collection box for Great Ormond Street Hospital early on Saturday evening.
After distracting the barmaid by ordering half a pint from the other end of the bar, the man put the box inside his jacket. He then took his drink outside and made off.
Landlady, Stephanie Grigsby who estimated the box had over �100 in it, said: “You can see him knock it to see how heavy it is. The young girl went around to pour his drink, then he went out the door with the glass in his hand. It is just so sad that it is gone. I’m very upset. I really hope that someone might know him.”
The money was being raised in support of Stevenage man Gary Collins, who cycled the Isle of Man End-to-End race in aid of the hospital last month after being inspired by the work of medical staff there when his godson was ill.
You may also want to watch:
Granby owner Gary Scott said: “It’s a really low-down thing to do. It is a sad day when we have got to chain up a charity box.”
If you recognise the man, who has a distinctive blonde streak in his hair, call Herts Police on 0845 3300222.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair