‘The whole community package’ – Restaurant, post office and more sees The Fox at Willian named Hertfordshire’s best pub
- Credit: Archant
The team at a village pub near Letchworth are celebrating after being named the best in Herts in a national competition.
The Fox at Willian has come up trumps in the National Pub & Bar Awards’ county round, and now goes forward to the regional and national awards in London next month.
It is much more than just a pub, with a fine restaurant, bedrooms and even a post office and store – and Fox general manager Scott Foster said his staff were over the moon.
He said: “This is a fantastic award and we are truly thrilled – it’s great news.
“We feel highly honoured to have received this award and look forward to spreading the news to our lovely customers this summer.
“Thank you Pub & Bar for the award.’
Explaining why The Fox had won the award, Pub & Bar editor Tristan O’Hana cited its hospitable environment and community value.
- 1 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 2 'No action' after sports pavilions demolished
- 3 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 4 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Can you help golf star Jack on his professional journey?
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 9 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 10 Heritage Foundation chair steps down
He said: “As part of the Anglian Country Inns group, The Fox represents the essential elements required to deliver a wonderfully hospitable environment.
“Its premium food offer, matched with the substantial investment put into the building itself, shows how much pride is taken in the venue.
“What’s more, not many places can claim to be a pub and fine dining restaurant with rooms, a post office and a village store – it’s the whole community package.”
Anglian County Inns managing director James Nye said: “We are thrilled that The Fox has been recognised as Best Pub in Hertfordshire among nearly 500 pubs that entered nationwide, and we are looking forward to competing against the best operators in the country.”
The grand final is at the Princess Anne Theatre in London’s Piccadilly on May 23.
For more about the pub, see foxatwillian.co.uk.