Stevenage tower-block fire: Man in hospital after flat blaze
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
A man has been taken to hospital after being rescued from a tower-block fire in Stevenage town centre this morning.
A police spokeswoman said a man had been taken to hospital after the fire, on the fifth floor of The Towers in Southgate.
The fire was reported to emergency services at 10.08am and was out by 11.30am.
Eight fire engines were on the scene, as well as the aerial platform from Stevenage fire station, police and medical vehicles including two air ambulances.
A fire service spokesman said firefighters “rescued one casualty”, who was passed to the care of paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
The ambulance service told us at 12 noon that two ambulances, three rapid response vehicles, two Hazardous Area Response Team vehicles, an ambulance officer vehicle, an Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and the MAGPAS Air Ambulance all attended the scene.
A spokesman said they took one person by road ambulance to Albany Lodge, in St Albans, while two other people were assessed and discharged at the scene.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
The building is run by Stevenage Borough Council, whose executive member for housing Councillor Jeannette Thomas gave us a statement shortly after 4pm.
She said: “No other injuries have been reported and we are making sure everyone is accounted for and safe. The fire was contained in the flat where it originated by our fire and rescue colleagues.
“Due to the rescue operation, water was deposited in the stairwell and lobby area. This has been removed by our service teams.
“To keep them comfortable, a number of tenants were asked to move to the library, which we are using as a rest centre. We are making sure fire alarm, electrical and gas inspections are conducted before residents return to their homes.”