The only way is up
A SUPPORT group for children with Down s syndrome and their families has been formally launched. Up on Downs held a Christmas party at Norton Methodist Community Centre, of North Avenue, Letchworth, to mark the official opening of the support group which
A SUPPORT group for children with Down's syndrome and their families has been formally launched.
Up on Downs held a Christmas party at Norton Methodist Community Centre, of North Avenue, Letchworth, to mark the official opening of the support group which has been informally run since 2005.
Backed by new sponsors Three Valleys Water, the group - run by parents of children with Down's syndrome - offers friendship, support and allows parents and carers the opportunity to share experiences, resources and information.
The group also provides opportunities for children to socialise and form friendships with other children like themselves.
You may also want to watch:
Sande Nuttall, secretary of the group, said: "It's about getting numbers together locally and getting parents' support very early on when they may be scared of the unknown."
Up on Downs hosts activities, including coffee mornings and social events at a variety of venues around the Hitchin area.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
Father Christmas, an entertainer, face painter and pantomime characters from this year's SPADS panto - Little Red Riding Hood - were all there to add to the fun of the launch party on Saturday.
Cllr Claire Strong, chairman of North Hertfordshire District Council, Cllr Sarah Wren, councillor for Hitchin Highbury, and Sue Pavey from Three Valleys Water, also made an appearance at the event.
Cllr Strong said: "Groups like this are important and need the support of members as much as organisers - the support in Up on Downs flows both ways."
For more information about Up on Downs, call: 01462 630459 or email firstname.lastname@example.org