The only way is up
A SUPPORT group for children with Down s syndrome and their families has been formally launched. Up on Downs held a Christmas party at Norton Methodist Community Centre, of North Avenue, Letchworth, to mark the official opening of the support group which
A SUPPORT group for children with Down's syndrome and their families has been formally launched.
Up on Downs held a Christmas party at Norton Methodist Community Centre, of North Avenue, Letchworth, to mark the official opening of the support group which has been informally run since 2005.
Backed by new sponsors Three Valleys Water, the group - run by parents of children with Down's syndrome - offers friendship, support and allows parents and carers the opportunity to share experiences, resources and information.
The group also provides opportunities for children to socialise and form friendships with other children like themselves.
Sande Nuttall, secretary of the group, said: "It's about getting numbers together locally and getting parents' support very early on when they may be scared of the unknown."
Up on Downs hosts activities, including coffee mornings and social events at a variety of venues around the Hitchin area.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 7 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 8 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 9 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Father Christmas, an entertainer, face painter and pantomime characters from this year's SPADS panto - Little Red Riding Hood - were all there to add to the fun of the launch party on Saturday.
Cllr Claire Strong, chairman of North Hertfordshire District Council, Cllr Sarah Wren, councillor for Hitchin Highbury, and Sue Pavey from Three Valleys Water, also made an appearance at the event.
Cllr Strong said: "Groups like this are important and need the support of members as much as organisers - the support in Up on Downs flows both ways."
For more information about Up on Downs, call: 01462 630459 or email email@example.com