The oldest member is 62, the youngest just four - fighting fitness for all ages is the name of the game at Stevenage club
- Credit: Archant
Martial arts is kicking off in a big way at Stevenage’s Bedwell Community Centre.
A self defence class every Wednesday evening teaches members aged four to 62 kick boxing and self defence techniques.
The class is also proving a hit for many children with autism and learning difficulties.
Oldest member Caroline Berkley says: “I just love it, we have such a good teacher and she’s very supportive. It’s great for all generations. It’s good exercise and you burn a lot of calories.
“It also teaches people a lot about discipline and respect.”
You may also want to watch:
Sensei Tracey Beatty is a black belt first dan in karate and a former UK number three in kick boxing.
The 52-year-old has been teaching for about 30 years and is now on her third generation of students. “It gives people a sense of belonging and they love being part of something,” she says.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“It’s great when people come back to me who have gone on to develop successful careers and tell me how important the course was in their lives. It helps children with autism and ADHD with their communication skills, making eye contact and following instructions.”
Carla Lincoln, mother of the group’s youngest member Tylor Lincoln, said: “He loves it. It gets him running around and it helps his fitness and teaches him how to respect people. He’s definitely more confident in himself.”
For more visit www.bedwellcommunitycentre.co.uk.