The long road to recovery
A MAN seriously injured in a late night attack is at last on the long road to recovery. Roger Mahoney, aged 34, from Knebworth was injured in an incident in the early hours of Sunday, May 21 outside the village s Royal British Legion in Gun Lane. He has b
A MAN seriously injured in a late night attack is at last on the long road to recovery.
Roger Mahoney, aged 34, from Knebworth was injured in an incident in the early hours of Sunday, May 21 outside the village's Royal British Legion in Gun Lane.
He has been in hospital ever since in a serious condition but has recently begun to make a slow recovery, say police.
His family are publicly thanking the local community for their support.
You may also want to watch:
Roger's mum Bridgitt Mahoney said: "The last month has been very difficult for our family, not least for Roger's girlfriend and his two children.
"We have had fantastic support from medical staff and from friends and family and we are taking each day as it comes. Roger can say a few words now but it's going to be a long time before he fully recovers.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
"On behalf of the family I would like to thank everybody in the local community of Knebworth for their thoughts and kind wishes - they are much appreciated.
"However, you will understand that with our daily visits to the hospital and with Roger's condition still serious we would like time as a family to help him recuperate and recover in private."
If anyone wants to send their best wishes then they are asked to do so through Bridgitt.
* Mark Bunney, a 45-year-old from Amesbury Lane, Derby, has been charged with causing Mr Mahoney grievous bodily harm.