The fall girl
JANE Gilbert would admit that she is no spring chicken – but age was no barrier to her taking to the skies to help raise money for disabled people. The 66-year-old Asda employee from Stevenage took the plunge in aid of national disability charity Motabili
JANE Gilbert would admit that she is no spring chicken - but age was no barrier to her taking to the skies to help raise money for disabled people.
The 66-year-old Asda employee from Stevenage took the plunge in aid of national disability charity Motability.
Jane found out about the charity parachute jump after spotting a poster at work.
She said: "It was a dark and miserable February day and everyone was down in the dumps. I decided I should do something to shake us out of it, so I signed up for the parachute jump.
You may also want to watch:
"Everyone at work thought it was a great idea - it certainly helped to cheer us all up."
After raising her sponsorship, she booked a place at the jump centre in Cambridge and took the plunge from 10,000 feet.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
Looking back on her skydive, the plucky pensioner said: "It really was the most wonderful experience. I'd do it again in a flash!"
She raised £371 for Motability. The money will go towards adapting cars for disabled people, helping them to lead more independent lives.
Other adventure seekers interested in jumping for Motability should contact Aine Canavan on 01279 632258 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
No experience is necessary, as full training is provided, and there are airfields throughout the UK where the parachute jumps can take place.