The chain gang
PREPARING to pedal for success are 18 members of Letchworth Round Table. Next month they will be attempting a challenging coast-to-coast charity cycle ride in aid of two charities, the Lymphoma Association and the Garden House Hospice. It involves pedalli
PREPARING to pedal for success are 18 members of Letchworth Round Table.
Next month they will be attempting a challenging coast-to-coast charity cycle ride in aid of two charities, the Lymphoma Association and the Garden House Hospice.
It involves pedalling nearly 140 miles from Whitehaven on the west coast to Sunderland on the east coast - and all in two days.
The route takes in mountainous terrain through the northern Lake District and includes the famous long climb up to the town of Hartside and onto the unspoilt northern Pennines known as The Roof of England.
You may also want to watch:
For many months now, Tablers have been getting up at the crack of dawn on weekends to get in as much practice as possible cycling around the Hertfordshire countryside before attempting the gruelling challenge on June 10 and 11.
Letchworth Round Table chairman Cliff Banks said: "We are all training so hard for this challenge. It's very important for us all to finish the event and to raise as much money as possible for two very worthy causes.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
"A number of us in Letchworth Round Table have been touched by the work of the Lymphoma Association and the Garden House Hospice and we are all doing our very best to ensure that we raise as much money as possible."
The cyclists will be supported by a two-man crew ready to supply refreshments and spare parts in case of breakages and punctures.
The aim of the event is to raise as much money as possible and if anyone would like to support it by making a donation they should contact Mr Banks on 01462 623360. Alter-natively, they can log on to the just giving web site at www.justgiving. com/letchworthroundtable