The Big Hitchin Tidy Up
- Credit: Archant
A campaign to rid Hitchin of litter before Easter is gaining momentum with more sites being suggested and more volunteers offering to help every day.
The Big Hitchin Tidy Up, which has been organised by Hitchin Forum, is in its third year and will take place tomorrow (Sunday).
Co-ordinators Ellie Clarke and Judith Gurney are very pleased with the results so far.
Ellie said: “We already have nearly a dozen sites put forward, with volunteers lining up to don gloves and old clothes to clean up open spaces and footpaths in the town. We hope even more people will contact us to join our efforts.”
Open spaces in the town that will be tackled include Butts Close and Ransom’s Recreation Ground.
You may also want to watch:
Footpaths and roadways being cleared include Whinbush Road and the access to Sainsbury’s, Balmoral Road, Park Street, Benslow railway bridge and verges along St Michael’s Road.
Mrs Clarke said: “Charlton residents are taking advantage of the current road works along the bypass which give a unique opportunity to clear in and around Charlton much more safely than is normally possible here.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
Another residents’ group is tackling the boundaries of the cricket ground along Lucas Lane and Oughtonhead Lane.
Judith Gurney said: “We are absolutely delighted with the response we’ve had so far and are looking forward to a great day on Sunday.”
The Big Hitchin Tidy Up takes place at most locations on Sunday morning 10am - 12 noon.
For more information, or to volunteer to help with one of the areas, email: email@example.com or go onto the Hitchin Forum website: www.hitchinforum.org.uk