The best of Hitchin friends: Vicki rallies to aid brave cancer pal Sam
- Credit: Archant
The best friend of a young Hitchin cancer patient featured on the front page of the Comet is helping to organise a heartwarming fundraiser for her close pal
Vicki Cumberland from Pirton was devastated to learn her ‘partner in crime’ Sam Williams was struck down with nasopharyngeal cancer just weeks before the end of her university course in May this year.
Sam, 21, from Benslow Lane, is currently receiving revolutionary proton beam therapy treatment in Prague to remove a golf-ball sized tumour lodged in her brain behind her eyes.
There’s been a huge response from supporters who have helped raise an incredible £16,000 so far to help fund her life-changing treatment.
Vicki, 21, told the Comet: “I’ve known Sam for the past five years. We met through her brother and she became one of my best friends.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s my partner in crime. We’ve done everything together, from girly sleepovers to holidays in Magaluf – deciding to have a quiet drink has always turned into the messiest of nights.
“Everyone always saw me as the wild one and Sam the polar opposite – but that definitely isn’t the case!
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 6 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 10 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
“There’s nothing I’d do without her, we even woke up together on Christmas morning.
“She’s always so honest, she doesn’t sugar-coat anything, which is why she’d always be my number one person to call whenever I had any problems.
“When she first found her lump on her neck we assumed it was just an inflamed gland, never did it cross my mind it would be cancer.
“She’s always been super healthy and really looked after herself, whereas I don’t – it’s so unfair.
“When she told me, words can’t begin to describe the way I felt. My mind just felt empty. How could such a thing happen to lovely Sam of all people?
“Sam’s humour allowed us to make light of it. She’s the strongest person I’ve ever met. There’s been some down moments, but she’s so brave.
“When she first mentioned Prague it seemed the perfect option, yet we never thought we’d be able to raise the money – so the support she’s received from community, and from the Comet has just been incredible.”
Sam’s dad Chris Williams added: “We’re so proud of Sam. She’s currently having laser beam treatment in Prague, and she’s had another dose of chemo.
“She’s a true battler. We can’t thank everyone enough for their support.”
Sam’s fundraiser will be held at Osinsky’s Bar and Grill in Hitchin town centre from 7pm on Friday, September 4.