The best Christmas house in Comet country
AS LIGHTS have been going up at houses across Stevenage, North Herts and Central Beds, The Comet want to know which is YOUR favourite festive display.
These 10 houses, sent in by readers and spotted by our photographer, have made the competition final.
Georgina Scripps sent in a picture of her house in The Crescent, Letchworth GC. This year, brother Marques and stepfather John Geaves put up the decorations, and Georgina thinks they deserve a special mention.
Letchworth GC also has two other Christmas house contenders. Charlie Bell’s sent in a picture of his festive display in Middlefields, and said it “would be great to have a mention in The Comet”, with Runnalow in Letchworth GC also lighting up the town.
Deb Jones sent in the picture of mum Sue’s display in The Crescent, Ardeley.
She said: "My mum’s house is always decorated up for Christmas. She does it for the school kids to see and also her eight grandkids. Hope she makes it into the paper!"
Meanwhile, our photographer spotted a display in Church Road in Willian and thought it deserved a snap.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 4 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 10 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
It belongs to Keith Reynolds, who collects donations to give to charity.
The Stanfords’ house, in Moors Ley, Walkern, was put forward by neighbour Danielle Moorley as a shining example of festive spirit.
She said: “Their house is the best in Walkern. They put a lot of effort and money into it to make it very magical for everyone.
"It certainly brings a lot of smiles to everyone’s faces and lightens up the village. I think they deserve a mention in The Comet about it."
Stevenage has also been getting into the festive spirit. The house on Canterbury Way has been a presence for years, with the Woolners Way house also showing how it should be done.
The decorations on Old Bourne Way, Stevenage, are put up by 78-year-old John Heller. He and his wife, Wendy, put them up for all the children in the neighbourhood and grandchildren Mason and Daisy who are two-years-old.
Hitchin isn’t to be outdone either. Ken Chapman’s creation in Milestone Road, Hitchin, is made up of 8,000 bulbs and set up by a team of helpers.
* To vote, view our gallery, before choosing your festive favourite in our poll. The winner and runners-up will be crowned and featured in Thursday’s Christmas Comet. Voting closes Wednesday at 2pm.