Teddy Sheringham: I went to watch an Arsenal player but Derby prospect caught my eye
- Credit: Archant
Teddy Sheringham signed Offrande Zanzala on loan after he went to watch an Arsenal youngster but instead came away impressed by the Derby County striker.
The 18-year-old has joined Boro on a one-month loan deal from the Championship club, and the forward made his professional first-team debut in the 0-0 draw with Barnet.
Sheringham has been watching a lot of U21 games in recent weeks, including Spurs U21s versus Chelsea at Stevenage’s own ground, and says he twice came across Zanzala when he was watching other players at Arsenal and West Ham.
The Stevenage boss said: “I’ve seen Zanzala twice. The first time was when I went to watch an Arsenal player [against Derby U21s] and I thought: ‘Zanzala’s good.’
“And the second time was when I went to watch a West Ham player [against Derby U21s] and again I thought: ‘Zanzala’s good.’
“So when I got him I was delighted because I’ve seen enough of him in those two games and [against Barnet] and I thought: ‘I’ll work you son.’
“He’s got great attitude and desire. It means that he wants to be a footballer.”
- 1 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 4 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 8 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 9 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week