Tea room team serve up a hefty pot of cash
- Credit: Archant
A village tea room is top of the pots with the team at Stevenage’s Macmillan Cancer Centre after brewing up a £5,000 contribution to the cause.
And The Brewery Tearooms in Walkern High Street already has another event bubbling under to raise even more cash for the unit, based at the Lister Hospital.
The £5,000 was raised by the popular refreshment spot’s annual fun day staged by proprietor Sarah Parker as well as other events, including sponsored triathlons and bike challenges undertaken by her husband Nigel and other members of the team.
Sarah, who scooped the Best Independent Tea and Coffee shop category in the Herts Food and Drink Awards earlier this year, said: “When we opened in 2009 we decided to donate tips to local charities, and raise funds too.
“Many of our customers have received treatment at the centre both before and after the building of the new facilities.
“Every year we hold a fundraising day and although there’s a lot of work involved, we have a lot of fun choosing our theme and planning our attractions.
“We’ll be hosting our sixth one on Friday, September 25, and our theme this year will be a 1920s summer, so we’ll be inviting our staff and customers to join in the fun and dig out their best fancy dress outfits and come along.”
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
“Weather permitting, it will be a fabulous garden party, filled with stalls of pre-loved clothing, bric-a-brac and books.
“Imagine Downton Abbey at the beach, don your straw boaters and crocheted swimwear, 1920s summer dresses and parasols.
“We will have beauty treatments in the summer-house and entertainment, to be announced, throughout the day.
“Of course we will also be serving delicious home-baked cakes and scones.
“We are in need of all sorts of donations, including bric-a-brac, good quality women’s clothing and paperbacks, and prizes for our bottle tombola. We are also looking for some show-stopping raffle prizes.”
East and North Herts Hospitals Charity fundraiser Zoe Doherty said: “We are extremely grateful to Sarah, her team and all the Brewery Tearoom customers for their hugely successful fundraising efforts.
“Raising £5,000 is a massive achievement and will help the Lister Macmillan Cancer Centre to continue to provide the best care for local people.
“A massive thank you to everyone involved, and if you do fancy a fun afternoon please visit the Brewery Tearooms on September 25. The day is so much fun and you will not be disappointed.”