Taxpayers fork out close to �1million to pay 13 council workers
TAXPAYERS are forking out up to almost �1million a year on salaries for 13 council workers. Using the Freedom of Information Act, The Comet has details of Stevenage Borough Council s (SBC) senior managers salaries which are greater than �50,000 a year. T
TAXPAYERS are forking out up to almost �1million a year on salaries for 13 council workers.
Using the Freedom of Information Act, The Comet has details of Stevenage Borough Council's (SBC) senior managers' salaries which are greater than �50,000 a year.
Thirteen officers earn a collective total of �914,835.
Chief executive Nick Parry earns a salary of between �98,721 and �114,732.
You may also want to watch:
Strategic directors Scott Crudgington, Celia Twomey and Peter Bandy each rake in between �73,584 and �85,521 a year.
The council has refused to name the remaining members of staff who earn more than �50,000 a year, citing the Data Protection Act as a reason.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
SBC's solicitor and monitoring officer, its head of finance, head of environmental services, and head of customer services and business improvement all earn somewhere between �54,696 and �63,570.
Five other department heads receive a salary of between �52,338 and �57,852.
When The Comet asked North Herts District Council for the same information, it revealed that the 18 highest paid officers collectively earned between �920,000 and �1,100,000 a year in the last financial year.
Chief executive John Campbell raked in �113,205, strategic director Norma Atlay and strategic director of customer services John Robinson each received a salary of �83,337, and strategic director of planning, housing and enterprise David Scholes earned �75,831.
With regard to Central Beds Council, a spokesman said: "At present the only officer with a salary over �150,000 is the chief executive."
He said the council would publish details of senior employee posts attracting a salary over �50,000 as part of its statement of accounts in June this year.
"With a management restructure underway we do not know how many posts may fit the criteria, so it is premature to publish these before this time," he said.