Takeaway contained cockroach
PUBLISHED: 11:49 22 March 2007 | UPDATED: 11:43 06 May 2010
A RESTAURANT owner has been ordered to pay out over £1,500 after pleading guilty to three food related charges – including serving a takeaway which contained a dead cockroach inside. Foyjul Islam, the owner of Dhaka Tandoori in Sun Street, Hitchin, pleade
A RESTAURANT owner has been ordered to pay out over £1,500 after pleading guilty to three food related charges - including serving a takeaway which contained a dead cockroach inside.
Foyjul Islam, the owner of Dhaka Tandoori in Sun Street, Hitchin, pleaded guilty to the charges when he appeared at Stevenage Magistrates' Court last week.
The prosecution was brought by North Hertfordshire District Council and the charges were that between September 12 and 15 in 2006:
1) A takeaway meal was purchased which was found to contain a dead cockroach, contrary to The Food Safety Act 1990, General Food Regulations 2004 and EC regulations which prohibit the placing of unsafe food on the market.
2) Islam failed to protect ready-to-eat food from the risk of contamination, namely the dry store cupboard contained open food packets, the large fridge seals were defective, two laundry baskets containing poppadums had a napkin draped over them and the hot cupboard contained a tray of unprotected poppadums, contrary to the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006 and EC regulations.
3) Islam failed to have in place adequate procedures to control pests, as clear evidence of an established cockroach infestation was present and the premises were in a poor state of cleanliness, in contravention of the specified community provisions of the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006 and EU regulations.
Prior to the court hearing Islam fully co-operated with the council and at the hearing he represented himself.
He also gave an undertaking to continue with regular cleaning of the premises to prevent further problems.
Islam was fined £900 altogether, £300 per offence, and he was also ordered to pay £50 in compensation to the customer and to pay £616.25 towards legal costs.
Andy Godman, the head of housing and environmental health at the council, said: "The restaurants operating in North Herts have an excellent track record of providing safe food to their customers.
"But where proprietors do not take their responsibilities seriously, North Hertfordshire District Council will not hesitate to use its powers to protect the public.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.