CRYPTIC clues about Hertfordshire led a woman to win a tasty competition. Carole Dilley, 55, of Knebworth won a hamper full of luxurious goodies made in the heart of Hertfordshire including beer, flour, lamb, pork, cheese, chocolate and sausages. She won
CRYPTIC clues about Hertfordshire led a woman to win a tasty competition.
Carole Dilley, 55, of Knebworth won a hamper full of luxurious goodies made in the heart of Hertfordshire including beer, flour, lamb, pork, cheese, chocolate and sausages.
She won The Hertfordshire Society's How Well Do You Know Your Hertfordshire? Competition, getting 11 out of 12 questions right in the quiz.
She was given a dozen pictures of places and landmarks, each with a cryptic clue and she had to identify where it was.
You may also want to watch:
With help from her husband David and son Jonathan she managed to answer questions about places such as St Paul's Walden Bury - home to Sir Simon Bowes Lyon - which was described as "Our president's avenue of limes".
Another place described was Whitwell which has a large cress field so "plenty of cress for your egg sandwiches".
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 5 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 6 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 9 'Black history should be celebrated every month, not just in October'
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Carole received the prize on husband David's birthday and said: "He is particularly looking forward to celebrating his birthday with the McMullen's Hertford Castle Ale."
Runners-up included Mrs MA Pittaway of Baldock who received a Campaign to Protect Rural England Support Local Foods bag filled with Hertfordshire honey, beer and preserves. For more information from the Hertfordshire Society visit www.cpreherts.com or call 01438 717587.