Suspended sentence for Stevenage man who sent degrading online messages and posted ‘revenge porn’ on social media
- Credit: PA
A Stevenage man who maliciously posted explicit images of a woman on social media without her consent has been given a suspended sentence.
Darren Balaam, of York Road, also sent ‘malicious and degrading’ online messages and a ‘threatening’ photo of himself with a handgun, Stevenage magistrates heard on Tuesday.
The 46-year-old pleaded guilty to two counts of sending grossly offensive electronic messages and one of posting ‘revenge porn’ under Section 33 of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015.
Chairman of the bench Sue Gordon imposed an eight-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, as well as a restraining order prohibiting Balaam from contacting the victim for two years.
In addition, she ordered Balaam to take part in ‘building better relationships’ sessions over the next 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
Balaam must also pay a total of £200 in compensation and a £115 victim surcharge.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts