Support floods in to save Post Office
THE COMET S campaign to stop the relocation of a busy central Post Office is gathering momentum. We have been inundated with letters and emails in support of our bid to stop Royal Mail moving Letchworth GC s large Broadway branch to a small franchise in a
THE COMET'S campaign to stop the relocation of a busy central Post Office is gathering momentum.
We have been inundated with letters and emails in support of our bid to stop Royal Mail moving Letchworth GC's large Broadway branch to a small franchise in a convenience store out of the town centre.
And all the correspondents agree with us - that move will be bad for the people of Letchworth GC, giving them a smaller building with less counters away from the town's main bus stops.
North East Herts MP Oliver Heald has also added his voice to the campaign, and is pledging to get Royal Mail's top people to come and see an unpopular franchised Post Office in Royston and to explain their plans for Letchworth GC.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Heald said: "The Comet is right to have started this campaign to stop Letchworth GC losing its main post office.
"Franchising may have its place in smaller communities, but the garden city deserves better than a 'back of the shop' style operation.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
"There is a lot of regret in Royston that the main Post Office was lost and that services are now at the back of a shop.
"The fact is that this is less convenient for people and means queuing up inside a shop.
"Although Station Road, Letchworth, has some good facilities and shops, it is not as central as the Broadway.
"I have invited the top management to come and see the Royston arrangements and then show me what they plan for Letchworth.
"I don't believe that this stacks up."
However Royal Mail still appears to be convinced that franchised branches are the way forward.
A spokesman for the company said: "The vast majority of Post Office branches are already successfully run in partnership with individual sub postmasters or retail companies.
"Franchising has been an effective way of running branches for many years, as it is a way in which we can reduce costs whilst bringing benefits to customers.
"Customers who regularly use the Post Office branch are being invited to give feedback on the proposed opening hours of the branch, access arrangements and facilities available."
* The Comet will continue to collect your views on the proposed move and send them to Royal Mail.
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Post Office Campaign, The Comet, Bank House, Primett Road, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 3EE.