Sunlight blamed for Baldock house blaze
SUNLIGHT is being blamed for a house fire in Baldock on Friday afternoon. An investigation by firefighters who tackled a blaze on the first floor of a semi-detached house in Aldridge Court, discovered it was almost certainly started by sunlight shining on
SUNLIGHT is being blamed for a house fire in Baldock on Friday afternoon.
An investigation by firefighters who tackled a blaze on the first floor of a semi-detached house in Aldridge Court, discovered it was almost certainly started by sunlight shining on to a shaving mirror on a windowsill that reflected on to bedroom curtains catching them alight.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house that was well alight on the first floor when they arrived. They also used thermal imaging equipment in case anyone was trapped inside.
Crews from Baldock and Stevenage attended the incident and reported the fire out after 30 minutes.
One person was in the house at the time of the fire but was uninjured.
Only last September the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning to keep mirrors or glass ornaments away from windowsills or direct sunlight.
- 1 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 2 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 3 Luke Turley: 'I was told to be a hitter not a tripper'
- 4 August 2022 weekend closure planned for A602 near Watton-at-Stone
- 5 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 6 Van 'tactically stopped' on A1(M) after alleged attempted vehicle theft
- 7 Deserved win for Stevenage over Stockport says Steve Evans but it was definitely in doubt
- 8 Music festival Old Town Live set to return with stages in High Street and venues across Stevenage Old Town
- 9 Thameslink suffers 'staff shortage' with weekend disruption planned
- 10 Player ratings: Who stood out as Stevenage beat Stockport County?
Ian Parkhouse, station commander at Stevenage Fire Station, said: "A fire caused by a mirror or glass object may seem extremely unusual and unlucky, but it does happen.
"Fire can have devastating effects and it is worth taking the time to move any mirrors or glass objects from direct sunlight."
The top tips from the service are:
* Don't leave mirrors or other glass objects near the window where sunlight can shine through and reflect off them
* Move aerosols away from window ledges too because the heat can cause them to explode and catch fire