Store hit for second time by ram raiders
EXTRA security measures have been installed at a supermarket after ram raiders struck for the second time in two months. The raiders used a stolen red Ford Sierra to force their way into the Tesco Express store in King Street, Potton. The car was later fo
EXTRA security measures have been installed at a supermarket after ram raiders struck for the second time in two months.
The raiders used a stolen red Ford Sierra to force their way into the Tesco Express store in King Street, Potton.
The car was later found abandoned in Myers Road on the outskirts of the town.
Police say the car was reversed through the front doors of the store at 10.30pm, 30 minutes after it had closed and staff had left a week ago last Sunday, January 14.
You may also want to watch:
Two men wearing balaclavas and camouflage jackets entered the building, say police, after studying CCTV footage, and smashed open a security roller blind protecting tobacco products.
Several hundred pounds worth of cigarettes and tobacco were stolen.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
A Tesco spokesman said: "From now on we will have security staff inside the store overnight and will also be considering further security procedures at the store in an attempt to try and prevent this happening again."
Police want to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time of the ram raid and might have seen the red Ford Sierra.
Anyone with information should contact Biggleswade police on 01234 842549.