Still time to sign up for Starlight Walk 2014 in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Starlight Walk is just days away but there’s still time to sign up and raise money to help keep a hospice going.
Garden House Hospice, based in Letchworth, is holding its annual Starlight Walk at 10pm on Saturday so it can continue to fund nurses who care for people with terminal illnesses.
Participants can choose between a six or 10-mile circular route and can arrive at North Herts Leisure Centre in Baldock Road from 9pm.
The walk – backed by the Comet – is open to both women and men, who were able to take part for the first time last year.
Jo Wiffen, community fundraiser for the hospice in Gillison Close, said: “People who haven’t taken part before often ask me what it would be like if they decided to join in.
You may also want to watch:
“Well, there is a fantastic buzz in the hall as you sign in, collect your Starlight baseball cap, and maybe have a photo taken or buy a glow in the dark necklace. Then it’s out to the car park where there is music, stalls offering freebies and prizes to be won. Then excitement builds with a fun warm up to get you ready and in the mood.
“When you complete the course there is a real sense of achievement as you are cheered over the finish line and presented with your medal.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
The hospice needs to raise £1.6 million to run this year – equalling £4,400 a day.
People can book a place online up until 10pm tomorrow, Friday. Those who wish to register on the night are asked to arrive at 9pm and payment can be made in cash or by cheque.
Registration costs £15 and includes a Starlight cap, water, goodie bag and refreshments at the finish.
To book your place visit www.ghhospice.co.uk.