Stevenage woman set to take part in Macmillan 10k run in memory of mum
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire residents have the chance to make Mother’s Day extra special by remembering and celebrating the lives of loved ones at a 10k fun run, organised by the Comet’s Charity of the Year.
Victoria McIver from Stevenage will be on the start line for the Mother’s Day Macmillan 10k next month.
“I’m running the Mother’s Day Macmillan 10k in memory of my wonderful mum and to give something back to the charity that helped her so much towards the end of her life,” said Victoria.
“My mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer about 18 months before she passed away and when it was confirmed that her diagnosis was terminal, she was assigned a Macmillan nurse.
“The nurse was such a huge help to me and my family at that incredibly difficult time that I wanted to fundraise to give something back to the charity.
“I have been a runner on and off for about 10 years and have even run a half marathon in the past. Since having my little boy though I find it more difficult to make the time to get out and run. Dark, cold winter nights don’t help this so I’ve joined my local running club, Stevenage Striders, which is great as it means I don’t need to go out alone on dark evenings.
“Since my mum passed away, Mother’s Day can be a very difficult day. Taking part in this run is a great way of turning that around to celebrate my mum’s life by doing something I love and raising money for a great cause.”
- 1 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 4 Stevenage store wins Opticians of the Year award
- 5 Henlow pub landlord calls last orders on annual beer festival
- 6 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 7 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 8 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 9 Motorcyclist 'breaks leg and knee' in Stevenage crash
- 10 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
The Mother’s Day Macmillan 10k takes place on Sunday, March 30, at Verulamium Park in St Albans.
To sign up for the run, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, visit www.macmillan.org.uk/stalbans or call 0207 091 2393 for more information.