Stevenage woman’s transformation after shedding six stone inspired her to help others
- Credit: Archant
A woman who battled with her weight and sank into a deep depression which lasted for years has now shed nearly six stone and is determined to tackle the growing problem of obesity in the UK by helping others to lose weight.
Sarah Lawrence transformed her life by losing 5st 11lbs at a Slimming World group in Poplars, Stevenage, 18 months ago and took over the Bragbury End group for the first time on Wednesday after training to become a consultant.
Latest government figures show one in four adults are obese, and it is estimated that by 2034 this will increase to one in three. Shockingly, 69 per cent of Stevenage’s population are now considered overweight or obese, and Sarah says her new role has never been more important.
She said: “Obesity is becoming such a huge issue across the UK. When I first joined Slimming World as a member, I never dreamed it would work, let alone that I would end up helping other people to lose weight, but now I just can’t wait to get started.
“It’s a privilege for me to be able to pass on the experience, insight and understanding that helped me, so I can give my members the support they need to get to target.
You may also want to watch:
“Support is really the most important thing. It all starts with feeling that you’re not alone. I couldn’t have lost nearly six stone without the weekly help, encouragement and understanding of my own consultant and group.
“I was depressed for years, feeling very self-conscious about my unhealthy attitude towards food and the feeling of being overweight.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 5 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
“I know the challenges people can face but, with a few simple changes to how I cooked, the weight just fell away.”
As well as changing her eating habits, Sarah has found a new love – walking her dogs.
She said: “Before Slimming World, I was walking my dogs on crutches because I was in so much pain with my joints. Now I race them around the fields.
“Becoming more active was so important.”
Sarah’s Slimming World group will be held at The Bragbury Centre in Kenilworth Close, Stevenage, every Wednesday at 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
For more information, pop along to the group, call Sarah on 07986 947330, or visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk.