Stevenage woman’s grief as her house floods with three inches of raw sewage
- Credit: Archant
A woman who had just been given the all clear after beating bowel cancer came home to find her house flooded with “raw sewage”.
Donna Ruder lives with her 16-year-old son Alex in Randalls Way, Stevenage, and had been enjoying a weekend away when the blockage happened.
The 45-year-old, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, received a call on the Sunday from Alex to say that there was a serious problem with the plumbing.
She rushed back home to find excrement flooding the kitchen she had treated herself to after beating the disease.
The team leader at The Health Centre on Stanmore Road said: “When I got home I saw my kitchen was covered in raw sewage. It was spewing up through the sink and backing up into the washing machine.
You may also want to watch:
“The force was incredible, it was coming up through the sink’s U-bend and spraying everywhere.
“It ended up flooding the entire ground floor with about three inches of excrement.
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
“It didn’t just affect my kitchen, my living and dining rooms are wrecked and so are the stairs.
“The insurance company have been out and said that everything will have to be stripped back to the plaster and take months to fix.
“They advised me against living in the house because of health issues but we’ve got a dog and hotels won’t take him. Plus my son doesn’t want to leave.
“The water board said it was caused by people flushing toilet wipes, fat and food down the drains and that is could happen again so I just want to warn people against doing it because this could happen to them.”
In all, four houses were affected in the blockage.
A spokesman for Thames Water said the blockage has been fixed but if anyone on the street is still having problems they should contact them on 0800 9808800 or visit www.thameswater.co.uk.