Stevenage woman gives birth to 12lb baby
A WOMAN is recovering at home after giving birth to a 12lb baby. Shauna Miller, of Fairview Road in Stevenage, gave birth to Jennifer at Lister Hospital, where a senior midwife said: A baby of that sort of size is very, very rare. There are only one or t
A WOMAN is recovering at home after giving birth to a 12lb baby.
Shauna Miller, of Fairview Road in Stevenage, gave birth to Jennifer at Lister Hospital, where a senior midwife said: "A baby of that sort of size is very, very rare. There are only one or two births a year of that sort of size throughout the area the East and North Herts NHS Trust covers."
Shauna, who was in labour for 12 hours after being induced, said: "When I was expecting friends kept asking me if I was having twins, so I knew she would be big.
"Even in the hospital the lady in the bed next to me was having twins and I had a bigger bump than her!"
The 36-year-old added: "It took six of them to get her out and the midwife looked like she was holding a three-month-old, not a new born."
Proud father, Gary, added: "It was quite scary at first as she didn't look like she was moving, but as soon as we knew she was ok I was really happy."
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 6 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 7 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
The 30-year-old said: "The midwives were doing a sweepstake between them to guess the weight, and the highest in the room had 11lbs but it was beyond even their expectations."
The couple also have a two-year-old son, Ryan, who weighed a healthy 8lbs 11 ounces when he was born.
Jennifer was born on Thursday, February 11.