Stevenage carer’s pride after walk brings community together
- Credit: DANNY LOO
An unpaid carer in Stevenage has spoken of his pride following an awareness walk held in the town.
Hosted by Stevenage Carers Hub, the fifth annual walk Stevenage Carers Walk began at 11.30am and continued until 4.30pm in Fairlands Valley Park last Saturday.
The event kicked off with a short welcome from town mayor Simon Speller, followed by a message from Iain MacBeath - director of adult care services at Herts County Council.
Norman Phillips, an unpaid carer in Stevenage, played an instrumental part in the organising and fundraising behind this event.
Despite his doctor recommending he skip the walk after having surgery, the 67-year-old walked for four of the six miles.
You may also want to watch:
Norman said: "Days like this make me very proud to be part of this community. Everyone comes together and values carers.
"I can say from experience that it really cheers us up."
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 10 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
So far, Norman has raised close to £1,000 for Carers UK, but he hopes to double that and hit his target of £2,000.
READ MORE: 'Caring is what I do, but it's not what I am'The theme of this year's Carers Week was getting carers connected, and the walk represented a good opportunity for this.
Organisations from across Herts including Stevenage Borough Council, Herts Constabulary, GP Carer Champions, Carers in Herts and East and North Herts Trust attended the day.
To donate to Norman's JustGiving page, click here.