Waitrose in Stevenage Old Town set to close
- Credit: Archant
The Waitrose store in Stevenage Old Town is set to close this autumn after 41 years of trading in the High Street.
The supermarket confirmed the news today after informing partners working at the branch.
Waitrose & Partners regional manager Ashley Broad said: "We have taken great pride in being part of the Stevenage community, so the sale of the shop is not something we take lightly, but have sadly not been able to find a way to make the shop commercially sustainable in the long term.
"Our priority is our partners working there who will be fully supported throughout the process and we will identify opportunities for those wishing to remain with the business wherever possible."
The 97 partners working at the shop will now enter a period of consultation and as part of this we will explore opportunities within the partnership for those who wish to remain with the business.
You may also want to watch:
The Comet asked Waitrose if other stores in the area were set for closure, and a spokesman said Stevenage was "the only Hertfordshire shop to be announced today".
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation