Police investigating Stevenage town centre rape of woman, 24
- Credit: Archant
A witness appeal has been launched after a 24-year-old woman told police she was raped on the outskirts of Stevenage town centre during the early hours of Sunday morning.
The woman was walking along the footpath on Six Hills Way close to the junction with the A602 Lytton Way between 3am and 4am, after the clocks had been turned back.
It is believed she became involved in a verbal altercation with a man, who then raped her. The location is understood to be a grassy area between two underpasses on the path.
The man is described as being a white man, around 5ft 6in tall, of medium build and had black facial hair or a short beard. He was wearing a dark coloured jacket and dark jeans. He spoke with a local accent and smelt of cigarette smoke.
The woman is currently being supported by specialist officers.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Claire Hill-McGrath, from the Sexual Offences Investigation Team, said: “This was a serious but unusual incident. We are very keen to speak to anyone with information that could help our investigation.
“Were you in the area at the time and saw something? Did you see or hear an altercation taking place? Or did you see a man matching this description?”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Herts police on 101, quoting crime reference 41/50614/18, or report information online at www.herts.police.uk/report.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through the anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will never need to go to court.
• If you have been the victim of sexual abuse there is support available via hertssunflower.org.
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 5 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 6 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 8 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 9 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing