Stevenage theatre group on the fringe of festival date
- Credit: Archant
A youth theatre group will today be making a last ditch attempt to raise money to get to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to perform George Orwell’s 1984.
Eight members of the Lytton Youth Theatre have been rehearsing their version of George Orwell’s 1984, but need to raise £11,500 for the trip by the end of the month.
The Stevenage group will hold their final two fundraisers on Saturday, July 26, ahead of their pending departure to the Scottish capital where they are due to perform the show from August 1 to 9.
Director Dave Slade said: “We have had donations from the Stevenage Arts Guild, NODA, The Follett Trust and many of our local councillors. Some businesses have also supported us and we have been given personal donations.
“The group has also been doing a wide range of fundraising from face painting to 12-hour drama workshops.
“On July 26 we will have our last preview performance before heading to Edinburgh.”
A book, bake and indoor car boot sale is being held at the Lytton Theatre in Stevenage between 11.30am until 3.30pm, before the performance of 1984 from 8pm.
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 5 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 6 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 8 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
- 9 Education provider for children who struggle in school celebrates milestone
- 10 Over 55s invited to 'Ageing Together' event to improve housing needs
Tickets can be bought via www.ticketsource.co.uk/lyttonplayers or by calling 01438 726847.