Stevenage teen becomes Miss Great Britain Central London finalist after beating the bullies
- Credit: Archant
A teenager who was bullied at school for the way she looked has won through to the final of Miss Great Britain Central London.
Katie Simpson, who lives in Shephall in Stevenage, says growing up hasn’t been easy for her. The 18-year-old suffers from anxiety and has been the victim of cyber bullying, targeted for being petite and slim.
She said: “I have suffered with many personal issues during my teenage years, including mental health, which can severely affect an individual and cause many self-confidence issues. I’m sure many teenage girls can relate to these issues.
“Growing up for me hasn’t been easy. Me and many of my friends have experienced some form of bullying through social media, and verbally during school periods.
“I was given horrible nicknames for being petite and rumours were spread about me being anorexic, which was never the case.
You may also want to watch:
“Cyber bullying has always been an issue through nasty comments, where people find entertainment out of upsetting others.
“This has such an awful affect on everyone who experiences it.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
When she was 16, Katie decided it was time to beat the bullies and work on her self-confidence, so she started modelling.
Today (Thursday) she is competing for the title of Miss Great Britain Central London, after winning through to the final. Katie will model in three rounds - swimwear, evening wear, and a little black dress.
The winner will automatically go through to compete for the title of Miss Great Britain in September.
Katie said: “As I have grown I have become my own person, which has stemmed from me coming out of my comfort zone.
“Entering Miss Great Britain Central London has boosted my confidence and I am so much happier with my appearance.
“It has opened so many doors for me and I am being offered so many modelling opportunities and filming work, and I have made so many good friends.
“This competition has made me feel a lot more self-worth and I am so proud of the journey it is taking me on.”
For more about the competition, visit www.missgreatbritain.co.uk