Stevenage summer beach arrives
- Credit: Archant
Despite being almost 60 miles away from the sea, Stevenage will be getting its very own beach for the entire month of August.
From 9am this Thursday, August 1, Stevenage town centre will open its summer beach for all to enjoy - so now's the time to get your sandcastle building equipment in order.
The beach will remain in the town centre until 6pm on Saturday, August 31.
Stevenage Borough Council's new chief executive, Matt Partridge, and Councillor John Gardener will be getting their flip-flops out on Monday and enjoying some fun in the sun at the beach.
The project is sponsored by SBC and Mace Group - who have been already been working together on the SG1 regeneration plans.
Council leader Sharon Taylor is excited by the opening.
In a tweet, she said: "We may be a bit of a way from the seaside here in Stevenage, but that doesn't get in the way of summer!"
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000