Stevenage stars of sport and stage celebrated
Young stars of the stage and sports field have been honoured at a special ceremony.
Over 50 youngsters were recognised for their achievements in a range of activities including dance, drama, athletics and football at Stevenage Borough Council’s Talented Young People Awards at The Gordon Craig Theatre. They each received a grant to help with their development.
Howard Burrell, executive member for leisure on the council, said the money will help realise their potential, and hopefully inspire others to get involved in sport and the arts.
The evening also saw the announcement of the Sport Stevenage Awards recognising the work of local clubs and coaches.
Winners included Richard Burling of Stevenage Cricket Club for service to sport, Daniel Gardner for sporting excellence in athletics, and Beth Harris of Stevenage and North Herts Athletics Club (SNHAC) who was crowned coach of the year. SNHAC were also presented with the team performance award, and Stevenage Cycling Touring Club won community club of the year.
The Stevenage Sporting Futures ambassadors were also recognised at the event for their commitment and dedication to supporting school sports.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist