Stevenage stars of sport and stage celebrated
Young stars of the stage and sports field have been honoured at a special ceremony.
Over 50 youngsters were recognised for their achievements in a range of activities including dance, drama, athletics and football at Stevenage Borough Council’s Talented Young People Awards at The Gordon Craig Theatre. They each received a grant to help with their development.
Howard Burrell, executive member for leisure on the council, said the money will help realise their potential, and hopefully inspire others to get involved in sport and the arts.
The evening also saw the announcement of the Sport Stevenage Awards recognising the work of local clubs and coaches.
Winners included Richard Burling of Stevenage Cricket Club for service to sport, Daniel Gardner for sporting excellence in athletics, and Beth Harris of Stevenage and North Herts Athletics Club (SNHAC) who was crowned coach of the year. SNHAC were also presented with the team performance award, and Stevenage Cycling Touring Club won community club of the year.
You may also want to watch:
The Stevenage Sporting Futures ambassadors were also recognised at the event for their commitment and dedication to supporting school sports.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park