Stevenage singer Cára Beard in last six to represent UK in Eurovision as part of duo Darline
- Credit: Archant
It’s Eurovision time again in May – and the artists vying to win the public vote to represent Britain in the contest in Sweden include an 18-year-old singer from Stevenage.
Cára Beard, who has performed at Rhythms of the World, Balstock and Rock in the Priory, is one half of country-pop duo Darline along with 20-year-old Abby Inez from Droitwich Spa.
The pair have been chosen as one of six shortlisted acts who will perform live on BBC Four at 7.30pm tomorrow, Friday, night to persuade the public to choose them in a telephone and online vote.
Cára and Abby will be singing ‘Until Tomorrow’, a Taylor Swift-esque guitar-driven song that they say is about living in the moment.
“It feels incredible,” said Cára, who went to the town’s John Henry Newman School.
You may also want to watch:
“Sharing all the performances and opportunities with someone else is so much better than doing it alone.
“We both grew up watching Eurovision, so we are blown away to be a part of it.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
“It would be a huge honour to represent the UK, and we hope the public like our song as much as we enjoy performing it.”
Cára and Abby were introduced by Ben Earle of Radio 2 favourites the Shires in May last year.
They immediately clicked due to their shared love of artists such as the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and Taylor Swift, and supported the Shires on their recent UK tour – performing at venues such as Cambridge Junction and the O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire.
A panel of experts will be on hand during Friday night’s show, but the winner will be decided entirely by public vote.
Darline’s song can also be heard online at bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03kb28x.