Stevenage shopping area cordoned off after suspicious ‘coffee cup’ device found near TK Maxx store
- Credit: Archant
Police have cordoned off an area of The Forum in Stevenage this morning after a suspicious object was found in the car park near the TK Maxx store.
The Comet received reports that a device in the form of a polystyrene coffee cup with microchips attached was found by a member of Stevenage Borough Council staff near the store.
Police have cordoned off the area and specialist officers are at the scene.
A number of shops and businesses have been evacuated.
An army bomb disposal unit has been called to assess the device, and fire crews are also on standby at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Road closures are currently in place in St George’s Way at the junctions with Six Hills Way and Fairlands Way, so drivers are advised to avoid the area.
More updates here as we have them.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)