Stevenage secure draw with Sheffield United

Sheffield United keeper George Long tips over a cross from Tansey which was dipping in

Sheffield United keeper George Long tips over a cross from Tansey which was dipping in - Credit: Archant

Stevenage remain fourth from bottom of the table after playing out a goalless Sky Bet League 1 draw with Sheffield United at a wet and windy Lamex Stadium this afternoon (Saturday).

Conditions were poor at The Lamex stadium

Conditions were poor at The Lamex stadium - Credit: Archant

Nether side could find the breakthrough to secure the three points to pull themselves further up the table.

Conditions played a big part in proceedings.

The first half saw Nigel Clough’s Blades have the benefit of a swirling wind as they attacked and enjoyed the lion’s share of possession.

It seemed Stevenage were happy to weather the storm, play on the break and get to half-time on level terms. And that is what happened.

You may also want to watch:

United went close first and the wind played its part as Aidy White’s swirling cross was turned on to his left hand post by Chris Day.

Boro’s first sniff of goal came as skipper Jon Ashton headed Greg Tansey’s free-kick from the right off target.

Most Read

Shaun Miller saw a shot deflected off target for the visitors as they had the greater attacking threat in the half, with Tony McMahon then smashing out of the ground from the edge of the box.

A break for Boro saw striker Francois Zoko hold up the ball for Felipe Morais who rifled wide.

The Portuguese winger was then booked for a sliding foul on McMahon, soon after he held back White and escaped a second yellow.

Boro boss Graham Westley took action by replacing him with defender Luke Jones and reverting to three at the back.

White shot over after a fine attack from United, while Tansey blasted a free-kick from 30 yards too high and into the crowd.

Boro’s best chance came just before the break, fine work from Zoko on the byline led to him pulling the ball back for Jordan Burrow who arrowed just off target from 10 yards.

The visitors flew out of the blocks at the start of the second half with Baxter just off target and a minute later beating Day only for the post to rescue Boro.

If a breakthough was to come it looked like it would come through Baxter, twice more he tried his luck at goal without managing to trouble Day again.

Things did not click for Stevenage in the final third all afternoon.

The closest they came in a disjointed second period was when a Tansey cross caught the wind and almost caught out keeper George Long who back-peddled and palmed it out.

As the clock ticked down Sheffield United saw more of the ball, however they were not able to create that crucial opening as the points were shared.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter