Stevenage sack Dino Maamria after winless start to League Two season
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Dino Maamria has paid for Stevenage’s poor start to the season by being sacked as manager of the League Two club.
A very brief statement released on the club's website said that Mark Sampson would take charge of temporary affairs assisted by U18 manager Alex Revell.
The statement in full read: "Stevenage FC have today called an end to Dino Maamria's 18 month reign as manager of the club.
"Following a strong run of results at the end of the 2018-19 season where Stevenage finished the season in 10th place with six wins from the final seven games, missing the play-offs by one point, the club have not recorded a win so far this season and currently sit 23rd in League Two.
"Mark Sampson will assume control of the team in a Caretaker role, assisted by newly appointed U18 manager Alex Revell, until further notice."
You may also want to watch:
The club have picked up just three draws in their opening seven league games while there have also been defeats in both the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy.
Only Scunthorpe United sit lower than them.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
The final straw saw Boro lose 4-2 on Saturday away to Cheltenham Town.