Stevenage man in training for first marathon after jaw-dropping 12-stone weight loss
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage man who has transformed his life and lost more than 12 stone has won through to the semi-finals of Slimming World’s Man of the Year and is in training for his first ever marathon.
Trevor Broom was 25 stone three years ago and struggling with everyday life and his job as a joiner.
Concerns for his health led him to dramatically change his lifestyle and he began eating healthily and being more active.
Through following the Slimming World plan, Trevor now weighs 12st 6.5lbs and was one of 43 men to win a place at the semi-finals of the UK and Ireland’s Slimming World’s Man of the Year, where he met former England international football star John Barnes.
Trevor, 54, says it can be hard for men to walk through the doors of a Slimming World group for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I just didn’t think it was for men, until I finally had the confidence to go along. I’m so glad I had the courage to walk through those doors and I haven’t looked back since.
“I did worry I’d be the only bloke in the room but, even if I ever was, it wouldn’t matter because everyone is there for the same reason and it’s such a supportive and friendly environment.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
“Losing weight has even encouraged me to think about how active I am too, so I’ve taken up running. I joined Fairlands Valley Spartans and built up my distances gradually, all the way up to a half-marathon. Now I’m training for the Berlin Marathon later this year.”
John said: “It was a pleasure to meet Trevor. I can’t believe his transformation, he doesn’t look like the same bloke.
“I think a lot of men find it really difficult to admit they have a problem with something and then seek the help they need to fix it. It’s not an easy thing to do, so Trevor has my utmost respect.”
Tracy Copping, who runs the Stevenage Slimming World group Trevor attends, says she is very proud of him. She said: “A lot of men think slimming clubs are female-only zones, so Trevor is living proof this isn’t the case.
“Slimming World works for everyone, so I hope Trevor inspires lots of other people in Stevenage – male or female – who’d like to lose weight to take that step and join our group at Poplars Community Centre or call me on 01438 726229.”