Stevenage’s top scorer signs for AFC Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Chris Whelpdale has signed for AFC Wimbledon.
The winger, who was Stevenage’s top scorer last season, has joined the newly-promoted League One side after his contract with Boro came to an end.
Whelpdale joined Boro from Gillingham in 2014 and made almost 70 appearances for the club, including 24 last season which saw him finish with nine goals.
Stevenage were keen to keep the 29-year-old at the club but AFC Wimbledon beat off competition for his signature.
AFC boss Neal Ardley told their club’s website: “There were a couple of players at Stevenage that stood out as better than the level and Chris was one of them.
You may also want to watch:
“His goalscoring record from midfield has been exceptional over the years.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn