Stevenage’s Old Town gunning for top high street award
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage’s Old Town is to be entered into the Great British High Street of the Year Awards 2016.
The Stevenage Old Town Community Partnership, which promotes the Old Town, has taken the decision to enter the High Street into the competition which sees hundreds of towns across the UK compete in different categories, to try to win a public vote for the best high street.
Last year Bishy Road in York was crowned the winner of winners and overall Great British High Street of the Year.
But this year there will be more categories and more entrants than ever before.
High Streets minister Marcus Jones, said: “With a record number of entries and 200,000 public votes cast, last year’s competition was a massive success.
“This year’s competition is going to be even bigger and better, with new categories and a simplified entry form. I’d urge everyone to get involved to showcase the hard work of your community, in keeping high streets the life and soul of our towns, villages and cities.”
The organisers are asking for feedback from businesses, residents and community groups to help them put together Stevenage’s application.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
For details email email@example.com or drop your comments in to Seasons at 57 High Street.