Stevenage’s Old Town gunning for top high street award
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage’s Old Town is to be entered into the Great British High Street of the Year Awards 2016.
The Stevenage Old Town Community Partnership, which promotes the Old Town, has taken the decision to enter the High Street into the competition which sees hundreds of towns across the UK compete in different categories, to try to win a public vote for the best high street.
Last year Bishy Road in York was crowned the winner of winners and overall Great British High Street of the Year.
But this year there will be more categories and more entrants than ever before.
High Streets minister Marcus Jones, said: “With a record number of entries and 200,000 public votes cast, last year’s competition was a massive success.
You may also want to watch:
“This year’s competition is going to be even bigger and better, with new categories and a simplified entry form. I’d urge everyone to get involved to showcase the hard work of your community, in keeping high streets the life and soul of our towns, villages and cities.”
The organisers are asking for feedback from businesses, residents and community groups to help them put together Stevenage’s application.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
For details email firstname.lastname@example.org or drop your comments in to Seasons at 57 High Street.