Stevenage’s Matt Godden on his winning goal against Luton Town
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage winning-goal hero Matt Godden admitted he could not have picked a better game than the derby against Luton Town to score his first goal for the club.
The 25-year-old summer signing from Ebbsfleet grabbed a 95th minute winner after converting a Tom Pett pass to down the Hatters and secure Stevenage’s first win of the league season.
He said: “I was told in the week leading up to the game that it’s the biggest game for the club, for the town.
“[To score against] Luton at home at the Lamex, I couldn’t have asked for a better start to get my first goal.
“It’s in my nature to work hard for the team and if that chance comes it’s my job to put them away.
You may also want to watch:
“I have been unfortunate really in the last four games from the start of the season to not really have had a sight of goal.
“To get one in the 95th minute at Luton I’m delighted.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 4 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
“The first half we weren’t at our best, but second half the game really opened up and playing open against us played into out hands, we’re all comfortable on the ball and we’re very fit.
“It was good to get the win at the end.”