Stevenage’s Lister Hospital appeal for ward volunteers to help ‘raise a smile’
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage’s Lister Hospital is on the look-out for more volunteers to visit patients staying on their wards.
The East and North Herts NHS Trust which run the hospital is appealing for more people to help out.
A visit to a frail or confused patient can often brighten their day and help improve their state of mind or general well-being.
Volunteer Ros Whitfield said: “It’s lovely to be part of something special and it’s really rewarding to do something to make someone’s day brighter. “It isn’t hard – it’s all about caring and everyone appreciates what you do.”
Voluntary services manager Janis Hall said: “Volunteers are precious to us. They make a huge difference both to patients and staff.
You may also want to watch:
“From driving people to their appointments to showing someone the way, sharing afternoon tea, playing a game or talking about the past; a cheerful volunteer can raise a smile and make the day go a little faster.”
Full training is given and travel expenses will be covered.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
To find out more about getting involved, contact Janis on 01438 284715 or email Janis.firstname.lastname@example.org.