Stevenage’s Lister Hospital appeal for ward volunteers to help ‘raise a smile’
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage’s Lister Hospital is on the look-out for more volunteers to visit patients staying on their wards.
The East and North Herts NHS Trust which run the hospital is appealing for more people to help out.
A visit to a frail or confused patient can often brighten their day and help improve their state of mind or general well-being.
Volunteer Ros Whitfield said: “It’s lovely to be part of something special and it’s really rewarding to do something to make someone’s day brighter. “It isn’t hard – it’s all about caring and everyone appreciates what you do.”
Voluntary services manager Janis Hall said: “Volunteers are precious to us. They make a huge difference both to patients and staff.
You may also want to watch:
“From driving people to their appointments to showing someone the way, sharing afternoon tea, playing a game or talking about the past; a cheerful volunteer can raise a smile and make the day go a little faster.”
Full training is given and travel expenses will be covered.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
To find out more about getting involved, contact Janis on 01438 284715 or email Janis.email@example.com.