Stevenage’s Erica, four, is taking on a triathlon to raise money for refugees
- Credit: Archant
A four-year-old girl is doing a triathlon to raise money for refugees, after seeing a television programme about children having to live in tents.
Erica Buckingham, a pupil at Lodge Farm Primary School in Stevenage, watched an epsiode of Apple Tree House on CBeebies which focussed on children living on an inner city council estate collecting clothes for refugees.
Erica’s mum, Kat, said: “She had lots of questions and she started to get worried about the children and really wanted to send her toys and books to them.
“We decided to give her an outlet and explained to her about sponsorship and now she has got the bit between the teeth.”
Tomorrow, Friday, Erica will take on her own triathlon in Stevenage, where she lives, to raise money for Save the Children.
You may also want to watch:
She will run 3km in Hampson Park, scoot 3km around Fairlands Valley Park and swim 100 metres.
Kat said: “She will have all her family there to support her and we will spread it out over the course of the day, so she doesn’t have to do it all at once.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
Erica, who regularly takes part in the Stevenage parkrun in Hampson Park - a 2km run for juniors every Sunday - has already raised more than £1,000.
She said: “I live in a house. I want to help kids who have to live in tents because they have lost their homes, and I want them to be safe and happy.
“I wish they had toys like my Doggelly, colouring pens and chocolate cake, and food to make them healthy.
“I just wish we could give them things they have lost, so I am doing a super giant challenge called a triathlon to ask you to give some money to a charity which can help them.
“Please help. I really want you to help.”
Erica’s dad, Steve, said: “Erica is training hard and fundraising hard.
“Thanks so much to everyone who has already donated.”
If you would like to sponsor Erica, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com and search for Erica Buckingham under the ‘make a donation’ tab.
Save the Children is an international non-governmental organisation that promotes children’s rights, provides relief, and helps support children in developing countries.
For more about the children’s charity, visit savethechildren.org.uk.