Stevenage runner wins Roaring Meg Community Heroes award for Race for Life backing – but do you know someone deserving too?
- Credit: Archant
A runner who has helped the annual Stevenage Race for Life event raise more than £1.8 million for Cancer Research UK in less than a decade has been given his own cash surprise in recognition of his achievements.
Paul Holgate has been chosen as the latest monthly winner of the Roaring Meg Community Heroes initiative, which seeks to highlight unsung pillars of the community with a £100 cheque.
The 58-year-old from Stevenage – alongside fellow members of running club Fairlands Valley Spartans – designed the first 5km course round Fairlands Valley Park in the town in 2007, and the event has gone from strength to strength ever since.
Paul was nominated for the heroes award, backed by the Comet, by the charity’s Rachel Parratt and Courtney Culverhouse, before being chosen as the winner by judges from the Monkswood Way-based retail park.
Afterwards, he said: “The award is a lovely surprise, although it is Fairlands Valley Spartans running club as a whole who deserve the recognition rather than just myself.”
You may also want to watch:
To nominate someone for the next monthly award – which ties in with the annual Comet Community Awards being held in May next year, email firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why they deserve to win.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust